Friday, June 27, 2014

The Flamenco [el flamenco]

  The other night, I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to see a flamenco performance done by a group from Córdoba. Flamenco is a style of Spanish folkloric song and dance, more popular in the southern parts of Spain. A flamenco group is made up of a dancer, a guitarist, singer(s) who also utilize hand claps. It dates back to the late 18th century, but is still very much alive in the Spain of today.
   Seeing this performance was a unique experience for me. I have learned about flamenco in my Spanish classes, but I was still very surprised by the live performance. The singing is quite different than what I expected. The singers vary their voices greatly and take turns singing different parts of the same song. Also, I wasn't aware of the focus the sound of the music has on las palmas (handclaps.) The guitarist provided a beautiful song and the singers provided a beat for the dancers with their hands. As a person who is unable to maintain any sort of rhythm, the singers' ability to clap together to varying beats and melodies was awe-inspiring. Above all else, what I admired about this group was their passion for el flamenco. It was clear to me that each and every one of them was up there doing exactly what they loved. I am so thankful for every opportunity I have here to experience the traditions and cultures of this breathtaking country firsthand. Life, love, and passion are beautiful things.



No comments:

Post a Comment